A friend said it was easy. I’m not so sure. Maybe because I’m not practised at it. It was fun learning new things though (wet the sides of the ramekins! Make sure the pastry sticks). Tasted good too. Do not skip the Worchestershire sauce. Lea Perrins for the win!
Chicken Pot Pies (makes 8 small pies)
1 packet frozen puff pastry
8 small ramekins
- First, take out your frozen puff pastry to defrost to room temperature. While it sits, you can do everything else.
- Wash and set aside 8 small ramekins.
3 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
600g diced boneless chicken leg
500ml Chicken Broth
Black pepper and Parsley for taste
- Heat butter in a saucepan. Add minced garlic and herbs. Add chicken.
- Deglaze with chicken broth and add black pepper, rosemary and parsley to taste.
- Simmer for a few minutes. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Reduce broth by a third. Sieve to remove herb pieces. Set aside.
50g Plain flour
50ml whipping cream
1/2 lemon’s juice
1 tsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp Worchestershire Sauce
200g Frozen carrots, peas, and corn
Nutmeg, Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat butter over low heat. Stir in flour with a whisk. Cook until golden.
- Add reduced chicken broth while stirring vigorously.
- Add cream, lemon juice, sugar, and Worchestershire sauce.
- Add mixed vegetables.
- Add chicken back in and more parsley and oregano.
- Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Flour table generously. Roll out puff pastry. Cut into rounds at least 2cm larger in diameter than the ramekins.
- Divide chicken mixture evenly between the ramekins. Wet the outside edges of the ramekins.
- Place pastry rounds on ramekins and press tightly along the sides.
- Using a knife or fork, stab small holes in the pastry.
- Bake at 180ºC for 30min or until pastry has risen and browned.